Telesterion, the extensive anthology of solo recordings by immensely prolific Grammy Award winning recording artist Omar Rodriguez Lopez (The Mars Volta, At The Drive-In) was made available on Record Store Day, April 16th.
The extensive double CD, quadruple LP compilation Telesterion features 37 songs (38 on the vinyl version) showcasing the variety and breadth of explorative artistry spread across his 25 (and counting) solo albums harvested for this release.
For those unsure where to begin discovering Omar’s vast catalog, this is a fitting introduction. Telesterion includes a 20-page booklet of artwork and text outlining the scope of his work, with liner notes by longtime friend and Rodriguez Lopez Productions art director Sonny Kay.
Check out sample tracks “Locomocion Capillar” here and “Shake is for 8th Graders” here.
Omar Rodriguez Lopez’s genre-defying sixteen-year career has resulted in more than 40 albums, a Grammy Award and being deemed among Rolling Stone’s “Greatest Guitarists of All Time.” His seminal and critically acclaimed band, At the Drive-In, redefined popular rock music at the end of the last decade. Since that time, in addition to being both a solo artist and leader/composer/producer of the The Mars Volta, Rodriguez Lopez has produced groundbreaking recordings for the likes of Juliette Lewis, Le Butcherettes and collaborated with Hans Zimmer, John Frusciante, and Erykah Badu, to name a few. In the early years of the new millennium, Rodriguez Lopez began filmmaking, familiarizing himself with the process by way of producing two unreleased films (2001′s A Manual Dexterity and 2003′s Letters from Dystopia) in lieu of any formal training. His third film, The Sentimental Engine Slayer, is the director’s debut feature release that had its U.S. premiere at the Tribeca Film Festival in 2010. Despite a virtually continuous commitment to the process of recording and touring with his various bands, Rodriguez Lopez has managed to complete two more films since principal production on The Sentimental Engine Slayer wrapped in 2007; El Divino Influjo De Los Secretos and Boiling Death Request are both currently in post-production.
Telesterion was available on CD & LP at participating retailers on Record Store Day, April 16th, 2011 and digital download on April 26th via Rodriguez Lopez Productions / Sargent House.
,b>Omar Rodriguez Lopez Group Live:
4/28 Dallas, TX @ Southside Music Hall
4/29 Austin, TX @ Austin Psychfest
4/30 El Paso, TX @ Neon Desert Festival
01. Locomocion Capillar (Solar Gambling) (MP3)
02. Population Council’s Wet Dream (Old Money)
03. Amanita Virosa (Xenophanes)
04. Coma Pony (The Apocalypse Inside of an Orange)
05. El Monte T’ai (Calibration)
06. Sex, Consolation for Misery (Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fungus)
07. Deus Ex Machina (A Manual Dexterity, Soundtrack Vol. 1)
08. Rapid Fire Tollbooth (Se Dice Bisonte, No Bufalo)
09. Un Buitre Amable Me Pico (Solar Gambling)
10. Half Kleptos (Cryptomnesia)
11. No Hay Mas Respuestas (Cizaña De Los Amores)
12. Solenoid Mosque (Minor Cuts and Scrapes in the Bushes Ahead)
13. Melting Chariots (The Apocalypse Inside Of An Orange)
14. Dead Hisses to Match Our Own (Megaritual)
15. How to Bill the Bilderberg Group (Old Money)
16. Polaridad (Tychozorente)
17. La Tirania De La Tradicion (Se Dice Bisonte, No Bufalo)
18. An Ancient Shrewdness in the Veins (Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fungus)
19. Noir (Cryptomnesia)
20. Calibration (Calibration)
21. Viernes (Ciencia De Los Inutiles)
22. Spookrijden Op Het Fietspad (Omar Rodriguez)
23. Boiling Death Request a Body to Rest Its Head On (Se Dice Bisonte, No Bufalo)
24. Victimas Del Cielo (Cizaña De Los Amoresv)
25. Las Flores Con Limon (Solar Gambling)
26. At the Push of a Button (Megaritual)
27. Asco Que Conmueve Los Puntos Erogenos (Xenophanes)
28. The Power of Myth (Old Money)
29. El Todo (Tychozorente)
30. The Palpitations Form a Limit (A Manual Dexterity, Soundtrack Vol. 1)
31. Agua Dulce De Pulpo (Un Escorpion Perfumado)
32. Poincare (Solar Gambling)
33. Shake is for 8th Graders (Cryptomnesia)
34. Atrotecism Fenleon (Minor Cuts and Scrapes in the Bushes Ahead)
35. Casate Colmillo (The Somnambulists)
36. Desarraigo (Xenophanes)
37. Lunes (Ciencia De Los Inutiles)